Orphanage Visit

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Today, the Rotaract Club of ICSJ went to Kajang to visit kids at Rumah Kesayangan Kami. The day was long but we all enjoyed ourselves :)

We were in college by 9 and practiced singing (yes, we sang) till about 10, which is when the van came. It was quite freaky, in a way. We were all singing pleasantly and smiling to ourselves when suddenly we heard this screeching sound and then sounds from the exhaust. The driver just kept on pressing on the exhaust and the car was making some really weird sounds. All of us were looking at each other going "Is that the van that's going to take us to Kajang safely???" Then another van came and waited at the basketball court. We split into 2 groups. I went into the scary van. Only later did we find out that the other van was waaaay better. Air conditioned and all. *sigh* Our driver turned out to be a really nice guy. Mr Siva was his name.

We arrived at the orphanage one hour earlier than expected. Haha. They were watching Mr Bean!!! And the facilitators were rushing them to the front to greet us. We started it off with an ice-breaking session. Everyone stood up and said their name ,age and hobby. There were too many names though, I don't think I remember any........hehe......

Then we divided into little groups and started playing some games. We played the ABC game, the telur game, and chop chilli. All suggested by the kids. After that they all wanted to play catch. We played like 5 rounds of it. I was running up and down. I was so tired but my goodness the kids had soooo much ENERGY. They kept wanting to play on and on and on. Eventually they stopped and was ready for lunch. A few Rotaractors cooked fried rice, nuggets, and made sandwiches. Oh yes, there was also mee hoon. Then after that we brought out the cake. We were celebrating all the kids birthdays. Yeap.....ALL their birthdays. And then we sang for them!!!! :D

The smile on your face
lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes
saying you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand
says you'll catch me
whenever I fall
You say it best
when you say nothing at all

There's more to it but I've forgotten the lyrics :P

And then we taught them a dance. Hehe. All in all it was a great day. The young kids were adorable! And they were so disciplined! When they eat there's a specific position for all of them to sit. And they sit on the floor. They say a prayer before they eat and thanked us for the food. There were these two girls who were following me everywhere. Haha. Yes, they liked me. :D

I will put up pictures later on. I need to steal from other blogs hehe. My camera is still not working! argh! So maybe I'll post some tomorrow.....

0 comments: